Portfolio review

I took a day off work today to consolidate some of my investment portfolio matters. I went to the Suntec investment seminar on Sunday to listen to some seminars regarding portfolio building and bond investing, and consolidate the findings on Monday. 

Although I confess I am not into bond investment at the moment, with interest rates expected to rise all the way until next year, it is a rare chance to listen to professionals speak regarding this matter. Stocks may be overvalued as the economy picks up and I may have to research on picking bonds to supplement my portfolio. I will be also meeting my Philips capital adviser to consult him on portfolio matters as well as to meet up with my ex colleagues for lunch 

Taking a sombre view at my active picking results, I gather that value investing is bound to be vastly underperforming in the short run. I bought Hyflux, raffles medical, I trust and singtel within the span of this year, and upon getting notice of their 52 week low trading prices. In hindsight, Ocbc and Sti are also underperforming when I dollar cost averaged into them during June / July 2017 until Donald Trump got elected and janet yellen announced the reversal of quantitative easing. I am also aware that these stocks will need at least 2-3 years to materialise capital gain as they are highly dependent on turns out (hyflux), growth (raffles medical and I trust ).

After talking with the adviser and querying of some points, I realised that my position sizing and my market timing is very poor. For risky bets / turnabouts like Hyflux, my position should be MUCH lesser, and I can consider a combination of the 6% preference shares if my position is risky. Even if interest rates will erode the value of these preference shares, I can gain exposure to this company with a much less risk to my capital. Regardless, I got until 2019 to gauge if the company is able / unable to meet its long term financial obligations, as it will be forced to divest its assets, be so profitable (very unlikely) so that it can exercise its option to callback the preference share, or resort to cheaper finacing alternatives. This share still has 2 years to redeem itself, but averaging down is definitely too risky at the moment. For technical analysis, my entry points are lousy and I need to work on candlesticks charting to improve in it. 

Till then, I will complete my blog post about warren Buffet and John Templeton investment methodology. I might also take some time to screen through some low pe stocks. At least this weekend and today will be fruitful 








































































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Light

Michael Leong- Your first $1,000,000 Making it in stocks

Portfolio Review 2019 - Performance Review